multiple internal websites

Manning Allan-2

Hi, I am quite familiar with hosting multiple domains on a single server using apache virtual hosts.

I rent a web server and am running 16 domains (currently) for myself, family and friends.

Now I need to host some internal only websites for my employer (employees get free wifi in the cafeteria) to pass on information to the employees.

I have setup a virtual debian 10 server with apache installed.

I have a PC functioning as a router (192.168.1.1/24) using the x86 version of DD-WRT, and have added the various hostnames to DNSMasq (i.e. I can now nslookup “daily”, “jobs”, “deals” and they all resolve to the same ip 192.168.250.1-as long as I put a dot after e.g. daily., or jobs.)

Using the default 000-default.conf file included in sites-available and sites-enabled as-is, I am able to reach my webserver using any of those names, and see my current index.html file.

I have tried to modify the conf file as follows. (I removed all the commented out lines)

<VirtualHost jobs:80>

    ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

    DocumentRoot /var/www/html

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost daily:80>

    ServerName daily

    ServerAlias www.daily

    DocumentRoot /var/www/html/daily

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost deals:80>

    ServerName deals

    ServerAlias www.deals

    DocumentRoot  /var/www/html/deals

</VirtualHost>

I know this would work if I was trying to go to say http://today.jobs or http://monthly.deals i.e. using a TLD and hosting from the internet

Ultimately I would like a separate webpage for each name i.e.  http://jobs, http://daily, http://deals

I know I can accomplish this if I set up a webserver for each name, but that seems like a waste.

All the internet searches show me how to do this with internet facing TLD’s.

Is it even possible to do this internally?

Do I need to create a dummy domain?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: multiple internal websites

Yehuda Katz
The best choice would be to register a real domain name. Because of the gTLD program, almost anything can now be registered on the internet, so you will keep having issues.

You could use .example or .test which shouldn't ever be on the public internet, or you could use .internal which might be registered some day.
.home.arpa. is also listed as a sort-of TLD for internal use.

Whatever you do, if you want subdomains to resolve, you will probably need a full DNS resolvers and block DNS queries to other servers

- Y

Sent from a device with a very small keyboard and hyperactive autocorrect.