mod_proxy_fcgi bug using CONTENT_LENGTH and Transfer-Encoding chunked

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

mod_proxy_fcgi bug using CONTENT_LENGTH and Transfer-Encoding chunked

Oliver Dunk
Hi,

I wanted to politely ask if anyone could take a look at https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=57087. This is an issue where CONTENT_LENGTH isn’t forwarded correctly when using Transfer-Encoding chunked. I feel uncomfortable bumping an issue in this mailing list, but it’s been open since 2014, and I’m not sure where else to ask.

In the real world, this is causing issues for me when uploading to a Nextcloud instance through macOS finder. Files are uploaded with a size of 0b and macOS shows an error. There’s an issue here which shows some instances of people running in to it: https://github.com/nextcloud/nextcloud-snap/issues/365.

For reference, the same issue was fixed in mod_fcgid a while back: https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=53332 and https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=50274

It would be great if anyone could take a look at this, and see if it is feasible to fix in the near future. The only alternative I can think of is moving my installation away from mod_fcgid.

As a final note, I did consider the user mailing list, but I get the impression few developers look there. Hoping I made the right call.

Kind regards,
Oliver
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mod_proxy_fcgi bug using CONTENT_LENGTH and Transfer-Encoding chunked

Ruediger Pluem


On 6/16/20 11:57 PM, Oliver Dunk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to politely ask if anyone could take a look at https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=57087. This is an issue
> where CONTENT_LENGTH isn’t forwarded correctly when using Transfer-Encoding chunked. I feel uncomfortable bumping an issue in this
> mailing list, but it’s been open since 2014, and I’m not sure where else to ask.
>

Giving us a notch here was the correct thing to do in this case. You follow the PPP (Patient, Polite, Persistent) pattern here.

Regards

Rüdiger
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mod_proxy_fcgi bug using CONTENT_LENGTH and Transfer-Encoding chunked

Oliver Dunk
In reply to this post by Oliver Dunk
Just wanted to resurface this one. I posted it last week, but there hasn’t been any activity yet. I’d still love someone to take a look if they have a minute.

Kind regards,
Oliver

On 16 Jun 2020, at 22:57, Oliver Dunk <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I wanted to politely ask if anyone could take a look at https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=57087. This is an issue where CONTENT_LENGTH isn’t forwarded correctly when using Transfer-Encoding chunked. I feel uncomfortable bumping an issue in this mailing list, but it’s been open since 2014, and I’m not sure where else to ask.

In the real world, this is causing issues for me when uploading to a Nextcloud instance through macOS finder. Files are uploaded with a size of 0b and macOS shows an error. There’s an issue here which shows some instances of people running in to it: https://github.com/nextcloud/nextcloud-snap/issues/365.

For reference, the same issue was fixed in mod_fcgid a while back: https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=53332 and https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=50274

It would be great if anyone could take a look at this, and see if it is feasible to fix in the near future. The only alternative I can think of is moving my installation away from mod_fcgid.

As a final note, I did consider the user mailing list, but I get the impression few developers look there. Hoping I made the right call.

Kind regards,
Oliver

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mod_proxy_fcgi bug using CONTENT_LENGTH and Transfer-Encoding chunked

Luca Toscano
Hi Oliver,

your request was duly noted, we might get somebody to look at this
during the next days/weeks, but we can't promise anything. The bug is
sadly not as simple as adding a line of code (see comments in bz
57087), plus the current dev resources have limited bandwidth.

Thanks for following up,

Luca

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 3:00 PM Oliver Dunk <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Just wanted to resurface this one. I posted it last week, but there hasn’t been any activity yet. I’d still love someone to take a look if they have a minute.
>
> Kind regards,
> Oliver
>
> On 16 Jun 2020, at 22:57, Oliver Dunk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to politely ask if anyone could take a look at https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=57087. This is an issue where CONTENT_LENGTH isn’t forwarded correctly when using Transfer-Encoding chunked. I feel uncomfortable bumping an issue in this mailing list, but it’s been open since 2014, and I’m not sure where else to ask.
>
> In the real world, this is causing issues for me when uploading to a Nextcloud instance through macOS finder. Files are uploaded with a size of 0b and macOS shows an error. There’s an issue here which shows some instances of people running in to it: https://github.com/nextcloud/nextcloud-snap/issues/365.
>
> For reference, the same issue was fixed in mod_fcgid a while back: https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=53332 and https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=50274
>
> It would be great if anyone could take a look at this, and see if it is feasible to fix in the near future. The only alternative I can think of is moving my installation away from mod_fcgid.
>
> As a final note, I did consider the user mailing list, but I get the impression few developers look there. Hoping I made the right call.
>
> Kind regards,
> Oliver
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mod_proxy_fcgi bug using CONTENT_LENGTH and Transfer-Encoding chunked

Tom Browder
On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 07:54 Luca Toscano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Oliver,

your request was duly noted, we might get somebody to look at this
during the next days/weeks, but we can't promise anything. The bug is
sadly not as simple as adding a line of code (see comments in bz
57087), plus the current dev resources have limited bandwidth.

I was just investigating moving to fast cgi from cgi and this caught my attention.

Will affect non-php code? Can I avoid chunking files if necessary to work around the bug?

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mod_proxy_fcgi bug using CONTENT_LENGTH and Transfer-Encoding chunked

Oliver Dunk
Luca, thanks for the response. What you’re saying makes total sense, so no worries at all.

Tom, I won’t try to answer your questions, because I could only provide an educated guess at the answers :)

On 27 Jun 2020, at 14:18, Tom Browder <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 07:54 Luca Toscano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Oliver,

your request was duly noted, we might get somebody to look at this
during the next days/weeks, but we can't promise anything. The bug is
sadly not as simple as adding a line of code (see comments in bz
57087), plus the current dev resources have limited bandwidth.

I was just investigating moving to fast cgi from cgi and this caught my attention.

Will affect non-php code? Can I avoid chunking files if necessary to work around the bug?

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom