css files not loading

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

css files not loading

Dave Hock
Hello, 
      I am hoping to get some help with an issue concerning a reverse proxy setup and static files.

I have two domains that I purchased from Google Domains, johndavidhock.net and johndavidhock.com and have created very simple websites for both of the domains which consist of a single html file and a css file, index.html and main.css respectively.
 
My home network is setup as follows:
Server location: 192.168.1.103 - hosts the www.johndavidhock.net site
Server location: 192.168.1.104 - host the www.johndavidhock.com site


I also have a server at 192.168.1.105 which acts as a reverse proxy server and has the following files in the /etc/apache2/sites-available folder:  
Reverse Proxy Server location: 192.168.1.105 

johndavidhock.com.conf
johndavidhock.net.conf

The contents are as follows:

<VirtualHost *:80>
         ServerName                          johndavidhock.com
         ServerAlias                           www.johndavidhock.com
         ProxyPreserveHost              on
         ProxyPass                            / http://192.168.1.104
         ProxyPass Reverse             / http://192.168.1.104
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
         ServerName                          johndavidhock.net
         ServerAlias                           www.johndavidhock.net
         ProxyPreserveHost              on
         ProxyPass                            / http://192.168.1.103
         ProxyPass Reverse             / http://192.168.1.103
</VirtualHost>


The reverse proxy is working in that I am able to access both websites when I am at a mall, for example, and using their wifi.  The issue that I am having is that the css files are not being picked up. In google developer tools I am getting a 502 error for the css files.
Please not that I am not very technically savvy about Apache and have learned most of what I know from watching youtube videos.  Also, these servers are raspberry pi 3+ minicomputers.  I have asked for help on the raspberry pi forums but they directed me to here.

Is this something you can assist with?


Thanks very much,


Dave Hock



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: css files not loading

Frank Gingras
Always match the trailing slashes when using the ProxyPass directive.
The ProxyPassReverse should match too.

On 09/06/19 10:15 PM, Dave Hock wrote:

> Hello,
>       I am hoping to get some help with an issue concerning a reverse
> proxy setup and static files.
>
> I have two domains that I purchased from Google Domains,
> johndavidhock.net <http://johndavidhock.net> and johndavidhock.com
> <http://johndavidhock.com> and have created very simple websites for
> both of the domains which consist of a single html file and a css file,
> index.html and main.css respectively.
>  
> My home network is setup as follows:
> Server location: 192.168.1.103 - hosts the www.johndavidhock.net
> <http://www.johndavidhock.net> site
> Server location: 192.168.1.104 - host the www.johndavidhock.com
> <http://www.johndavidhock.com> site
>
>
> I also have a server at 192.168.1.105 which acts as a reverse proxy
> server and has the following files in the /etc/apache2/sites-available
> folder:  
> Reverse Proxy Server location: 192.168.1.105
>
> johndavidhock.com.conf
> johndavidhock.net.conf
>
> The contents are as follows:
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>          ServerName                          johndavidhock.com
> <http://johndavidhock.com>
>          ServerAlias                           www.johndavidhock.com
> <http://www.johndavidhock.com>
>          ProxyPreserveHost              on
>          ProxyPass                            / http://192.168.1.104
>          ProxyPass Reverse             / http://192.168.1.104
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>          ServerName                          johndavidhock.net
> <http://johndavidhock.net>
>          ServerAlias                           www.johndavidhock.net
> <http://www.johndavidhock.net>
>          ProxyPreserveHost              on
>          ProxyPass                            / http://192.168.1.103
>          ProxyPass Reverse             / http://192.168.1.103
> </VirtualHost>
>
>
> The reverse proxy is working in that I am able to access both websites
> when I am at a mall, for example, and using their wifi.  The issue that
> I am having is that the css files are not being picked up. In google
> developer tools I am getting a 502 error for the css files.
> Please not that I am not very technically savvy about Apache and have
> learned most of what I know from watching youtube videos.  Also, these
> servers are raspberry pi 3+ minicomputers.  I have asked for help on the
> raspberry pi forums but they directed me to here.
>
> Is this something you can assist with?
>
>
> Thanks very much,
>
>
> Dave Hock
>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: css files not loading

Dave Hock
Hello Frank,
     So I tried your suggestion and of course it worked!!  I hope you know how much this means to me.  I have been looking for a solution to this for several months and had given up a couple of times.  Thank you so much!!

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 7:54 AM Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:
Always match the trailing slashes when using the ProxyPass directive.
The ProxyPassReverse should match too.

On 09/06/19 10:15 PM, Dave Hock wrote:
> Hello,
>       I am hoping to get some help with an issue concerning a reverse
> proxy setup and static files.
>
> I have two domains that I purchased from Google Domains,
> johndavidhock.net <http://johndavidhock.net> and johndavidhock.com
> <http://johndavidhock.com> and have created very simple websites for
> both of the domains which consist of a single html file and a css file,
> index.html and main.css respectively.

> My home network is setup as follows:
> Server location: 192.168.1.103 - hosts the www.johndavidhock.net
> <http://www.johndavidhock.net> site
> Server location: 192.168.1.104 - host the www.johndavidhock.com
> <http://www.johndavidhock.com> site
>
>
> I also have a server at 192.168.1.105 which acts as a reverse proxy
> server and has the following files in the /etc/apache2/sites-available
> folder: 
> Reverse Proxy Server location: 192.168.1.105
>
> johndavidhock.com.conf
> johndavidhock.net.conf
>
> The contents are as follows:
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>          ServerName                          johndavidhock.com
> <http://johndavidhock.com>
>          ServerAlias                           www.johndavidhock.com
> <http://www.johndavidhock.com>
>          ProxyPreserveHost              on
>          ProxyPass                            / http://192.168.1.104
>          ProxyPass Reverse             / http://192.168.1.104
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>          ServerName                          johndavidhock.net
> <http://johndavidhock.net>
>          ServerAlias                           www.johndavidhock.net
> <http://www.johndavidhock.net>
>          ProxyPreserveHost              on
>          ProxyPass                            / http://192.168.1.103
>          ProxyPass Reverse             / http://192.168.1.103
> </VirtualHost>
>
>
> The reverse proxy is working in that I am able to access both websites
> when I am at a mall, for example, and using their wifi.  The issue that
> I am having is that the css files are not being picked up. In google
> developer tools I am getting a 502 error for the css files.
> Please not that I am not very technically savvy about Apache and have
> learned most of what I know from watching youtube videos.  Also, these
> servers are raspberry pi 3+ minicomputers.  I have asked for help on the
> raspberry pi forums but they directed me to here.
>
> Is this something you can assist with?
>
>
> Thanks very much,
>
>
> Dave Hock
>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]