balancer-manager docs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

balancer-manager docs

Jim Jagielski
We currently have really really little info about the balancer-
manager in our docs, just a short little blurb on how to enable
it and a brief description of what it does [1]. I'd like to extend
that, but does it make sense to add it to the mod_proxy_balancer
module page, or have a separate page dedicated to it which we can
link to?


1. https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_proxy_balancer.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: balancer-manager docs

Rainer Jung-3
Am 09.02.2016 um 13:25 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> We currently have really really little info about the balancer-
> manager in our docs, just a short little blurb on how to enable
> it and a brief description of what it does [1]. I'd like to extend
> that, but does it make sense to add it to the mod_proxy_balancer
> module page, or have a separate page dedicated to it which we can
> link to?
>
>
> 1. https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_proxy_balancer.html

Adding even more questions:

I always think it is confusing for newbies, that all configuration
directives for any mod_proxy_* are documented on the mod_proxy page.
Although this reflects the code, config is done by mod_proxy, it is not
what a user would expect. If e.g. He is working with a balancer, he
would expect more info about how to configure a balancer in the
mod_proxy_balancer page.

So I wonder whether proxy is an example, where the config reference
should move to the docs page, for the module that is actually being
configured, not the module that handles the configuration. I guess
that's not possible without some redundancy and it's not an easy call to
decide, what should go to the central mod_proxy page, and what to
individual mod_proxy_xyz pages.

There are other cases as well (ajp, fcgi, ...).

Regards,

Rainer

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: balancer-manager docs

Tim Bannister
On 9 Feb 2016, at 16:02, Rainer Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am 09.02.2016 um 13:25 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>> We currently have really really little info about the balancer-manager in our docs, just a short little blurb on how to enable it and a brief description of what it does [1]. I'd like to extend that, but does it make sense to add it to the mod_proxy_balancer module page, or have a separate page dedicated to it which we can link to?
>>
>> 1. https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_proxy_balancer.html
>
> Adding even more questions:
>
> I always think it is confusing for newbies, that all configuration directives for any mod_proxy_* are documented on the mod_proxy page. Although this reflects the code, config is done by mod_proxy, it is not what a user would expect. If e.g. He is working with a balancer, he would expect more info about how to configure a balancer in the mod_proxy_balancer page.

Cc: to docs@

The module pages can document the module; I think that's appropriate for reference documentation.

What's missing is more of a “how do I set up X” guide. I think the topics could be:

• forward proxy (and access control) with or without cacheing
• reverse proxy with or without cacheing
• balancing and high availability for reverse proxies

I think this is me volunteering to at least draft some text, if people agree this approach makes sense.

--
Tim Bannister – [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: balancer-manager docs

Jim Jagielski
The more I think of it, a HowTo guide, like the ones we have
for public_html, Authn&Authz, etc regarding reverse proxy
makes the most sense...

> On Feb 9, 2016, at 12:55 PM, Tim Bannister <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 9 Feb 2016, at 16:02, Rainer Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Am 09.02.2016 um 13:25 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>>> We currently have really really little info about the balancer-manager in our docs, just a short little blurb on how to enable it and a brief description of what it does [1]. I'd like to extend that, but does it make sense to add it to the mod_proxy_balancer module page, or have a separate page dedicated to it which we can link to?
>>>
>>> 1. https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_proxy_balancer.html
>>
>> Adding even more questions:
>>
>> I always think it is confusing for newbies, that all configuration directives for any mod_proxy_* are documented on the mod_proxy page. Although this reflects the code, config is done by mod_proxy, it is not what a user would expect. If e.g. He is working with a balancer, he would expect more info about how to configure a balancer in the mod_proxy_balancer page.
>
> Cc: to docs@
>
> The module pages can document the module; I think that's appropriate for reference documentation.
>
> What's missing is more of a “how do I set up X” guide. I think the topics could be:
>
> • forward proxy (and access control) with or without cacheing
> • reverse proxy with or without cacheing
> • balancing and high availability for reverse proxies
>
> I think this is me volunteering to at least draft some text, if people agree this approach makes sense.
>
> --
> Tim Bannister – [hidden email]
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: balancer-manager docs

Luca Toscano
Hi Jim,

2016-02-09 21:25 GMT+01:00 Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]>:
The more I think of it, a HowTo guide, like the ones we have
for public_html, Authn&Authz, etc regarding reverse proxy
makes the most sense...

> On Feb 9, 2016, at 12:55 PM, Tim Bannister <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 9 Feb 2016, at 16:02, Rainer Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The module pages can document the module; I think that's appropriate for reference documentation.
>
> What's missing is more of a “how do I set up X” guide. I think the topics could be:
>
> • forward proxy (and access control) with or without cacheing
> • reverse proxy with or without cacheing
> • balancing and high availability for reverse proxies
>
> I think this is me volunteering to at least draft some text, if people agree this approach makes sense.

+1 for the howto guides suggested by Tim and separate pages for each module for whoever is interested to dive deep into options.

Ideally the howto summary page (https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/howto/) could be linked to https://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi as "suggested list" of things to bookmark for whoever is interested in httpd.

Also I volunteer for helping writing/reviewing the new docs if needed :)

Luca 




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: balancer-manager docs

Stefan Eissing
If you write one, I write one for http2! :-)

> Am 09.02.2016 um 21:36 schrieb Luca Toscano <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> 2016-02-09 21:25 GMT+01:00 Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]>:
> The more I think of it, a HowTo guide, like the ones we have
> for public_html, Authn&Authz, etc regarding reverse proxy
> makes the most sense...
>
> > On Feb 9, 2016, at 12:55 PM, Tim Bannister <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 9 Feb 2016, at 16:02, Rainer Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The module pages can document the module; I think that's appropriate for reference documentation.
> >
> > What's missing is more of a “how do I set up X” guide. I think the topics could be:
> >
> > • forward proxy (and access control) with or without cacheing
> > • reverse proxy with or without cacheing
> > • balancing and high availability for reverse proxies
> >
> > I think this is me volunteering to at least draft some text, if people agree this approach makes sense.
>
> +1 for the howto guides suggested by Tim and separate pages for each module for whoever is interested to dive deep into options.
>
> Ideally the howto summary page (https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/howto/) could be linked to https://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi as "suggested list" of things to bookmark for whoever is interested in httpd.
>
> Also I volunteer for helping writing/reviewing the new docs if needed :)
>
> Luca
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: balancer-manager docs

Luca Toscano

2016-02-10 10:33 GMT+01:00 Stefan Eissing <[hidden email]>:
If you write one, I write one for http2! :-)


+1+1+1+1 :)

 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: balancer-manager docs

Jim Jagielski
In reply to this post by Jim Jagielski
Work in progress in:

    docs/manual/howto/reverse_proxy.xml

cheers!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: balancer-manager docs

Daniel
Sorry for the intrusion.

Since you guys are on it, a brief description telling that mod_slotmem_XXX is REQUIRED if you choose to load any type of mod_lbmethod would also be a good tip to add in the docs.

Cheers!

El mié., 10 feb. 2016 a las 22:08, Jim Jagielski (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Work in progress in:

    docs/manual/howto/reverse_proxy.xml

cheers!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: balancer-manager docs

Jim Jagielski-2
In reply to this post by Luca Toscano
A rough and very brief framework of such a guide is now available...

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/howto/reverse_proxy.html

On 2016-02-10 06:21, Luca Toscano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2016-02-10 10:33 GMT+01:00 Stefan Eissing <[hidden email]>:
>
> > If you write one, I write one for http2! :-)
> >
> >
> +1+1+1+1 :)
>
------
Sent via Pony Mail for [hidden email].
View this email online at:
https://pony-poc.apache.org/list.html?dev@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: balancer-manager docs

Stefan Eissing
Very nice!

> Am 11.02.2016 um 18:46 schrieb Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]>:
>
> A rough and very brief framework of such a guide is now available...
>
>    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/howto/reverse_proxy.html
>
> On 2016-02-10 06:21, Luca Toscano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2016-02-10 10:33 GMT+01:00 Stefan Eissing <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> If you write one, I write one for http2! :-)
>>>
>>>
>> +1+1+1+1 :)
>>
> ------
> Sent via Pony Mail for [hidden email].
> View this email online at:
> https://pony-poc.apache.org/list.html?dev@...

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: balancer-manager docs

Daniel
Looks very nice indeed! For being a "rough" version looks quite complete. Also the diagram is a cool addition to help people understand how reverse proxying works.

I think the examples may need some adjusting with the matching slashes:

ProxyPass "/" "http://www.example.com"
should be:
ProxyPass / http://www.example.com/
(I removed the quotes because they are not necessary)

and
ProxyPass "/images" "http://www.example.com"
should be:
ProxyPass /images/ http://www.example.com/


Cheers!



El vie., 12 feb. 2016 a las 9:48, Stefan Eissing (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Very nice!

> Am 11.02.2016 um 18:46 schrieb Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]>:
>
> A rough and very brief framework of such a guide is now available...
>
>    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/howto/reverse_proxy.html
>
> On 2016-02-10 06:21, Luca Toscano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2016-02-10 10:33 GMT+01:00 Stefan Eissing <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> If you write one, I write one for http2! :-)
>>>
>>>
>> +1+1+1+1 :)
>>
> ------
> Sent via Pony Mail for [hidden email].
> View this email online at:
> https://pony-poc.apache.org/list.html?dev@...

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: balancer-manager docs

Luca Toscano
I like the how-to a lot! 

Would it be useful to add a "logging" section explaining best practices about how to enable logging of the various modules? 
A lot of people ask for instruction about how to track what mod_proxy does in the background, plus I think it would be really useful to have a history of the status of each BalancerMember over time (for example to correlate when a backend server was put out of the Balancer set due to health check failures with access/error/etc.. logs after an outage - a balancer-manager history written down somewhere).

Hope that this make sense!

Luca

2016-02-12 10:04 GMT+01:00 Daniel <[hidden email]>:
Looks very nice indeed! For being a "rough" version looks quite complete. Also the diagram is a cool addition to help people understand how reverse proxying works.

I think the examples may need some adjusting with the matching slashes:

ProxyPass "/" "http://www.example.com"
should be:
ProxyPass / http://www.example.com/
(I removed the quotes because they are not necessary)

and
ProxyPass "/images" "http://www.example.com"
should be:
ProxyPass /images/ http://www.example.com/


Cheers!




El vie., 12 feb. 2016 a las 9:48, Stefan Eissing (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Very nice!

> Am 11.02.2016 um 18:46 schrieb Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]>:
>
> A rough and very brief framework of such a guide is now available...
>
>    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/howto/reverse_proxy.html
>
> On 2016-02-10 06:21, Luca Toscano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2016-02-10 10:33 GMT+01:00 Stefan Eissing <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> If you write one, I write one for http2! :-)
>>>
>>>
>> +1+1+1+1 :)
>>
> ------
> Sent via Pony Mail for [hidden email].
> View this email online at:
> https://pony-poc.apache.org/list.html?dev@...