Which programming language should be used for newly developed modules?

Which programming language should be used for newly developed modules?

Simon Studer
Hi everyone,

Recently, I was wondering which programming language should be used for
new Apache httpd modules.

As far as I can tell, most modules are programmed in C. Is this still
the best programming language for developing modules for new projects?

I guess other languages like C++, Rust, Go, ... could also be used.
Would it make sense to choose one of these languages over C or is C
still the best choice?

Any thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated!
Simon

Re: Which programming language should be used for newly developed modules?

Nick Kew-3
On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 21:59:50 +0200
Simon Studer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Recently, I was wondering which programming language should be used
> for new Apache httpd modules.

Whatever suits the module's developer and task.

The C API has a stability promise: if you use it, your
module will continue to work with (at least) future 2.4.x
releases.  That give you C or any language with C linkage.
If you deviate from the API, you're on your own.

Alternatives that (broadly speaking) wrap the C API are also
possible: see for example mod_perl and mod_lua.

Nick Kew

Re: Which programming language should be used for newly developed modules?

Wendell Hatcher
Golang!! 😊😊😊

Wendell