What editor to edit config files with Windows XP?

What editor to edit config files with Windows XP?

Gary-61
I have Windows XP running Apache 2.0.54.

When I edit my hosts, httpd, and other files, I use notepad. When I save the
files, they become .txt files. Should I be using some other editor to
correctly save the files as other than .txt? I notice some things do not
work correctly and am thinking this may be the issue I am having?

Virtual hosts does not work although I have them set exactly as various
examples in Apache docs and elsewhere on the web. Also I can get to the
apache start page ok using 127.0.0.1 but not using localhosts.

In my hosts file, I have "127.0.0.1 localhost" as the first line.

My virtual hosts are set up as follows:

#
#Use name-based virtual hosting.
#
NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
 DocumentRoot C:/www/Apache2/htdocs/dreammaster
 ServerName www.dreammaster.info
 ServerAlias dreammaster.info dreammaster
 ErrorLog logs/dreammaster.log
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
 DocumentRoot C:/www/Apache2/htdocs/owlnet
 ServerName www.owlnet.net
 ServerAlias owlnet.net owlnet
 ErrorLog logs/owlnet.log
</VirtualHost>

Those are the correct paths to root documents, etc. yet virtual hosts does
not work in that I can not get to either using:

http://127.0.0.1/owlnet
http://127.0.0.1/owlnet.net
http://www.owlnet.net
etc

All tests for php, mysql, perl, etc work at http://127.0.0.1/whatever test.

My main reason for installing apache is to have a test server to use for
building websites under Dreamweaver. IIS wasn't cutting it for me.

Thanks for any help.

RE: What editor to edit config files with Windows XP?

Jamie Kerwick
You should be able to use notepad to save your config files, just put
quotes around the filename, eg. ".htaccess" this normally stops it from
adding the file extension.

Jamie

[...]

************** E-mail Disclaimer **************
This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.  If you are not the intended addressee, please reply to the sender and then delete the message from your computer.

Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Benenden Healthcare Society Limited.

You should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The Benenden Healthcare Society Limited accepts no liability for any damages caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail or its attachments.

The Benenden Healthcare Society Limited is an incorporated friendly society, registered under the Friendly Societies Act 1992, registered number 480F.  The Society¬ís contractual business (the provision of tuberculosis benefit) is authorised by the FSA.  The remainder of The Society¬ís business is undertaken on a discretionary basis.  The Society is subject to FSA requirement for prudential management.

Registered Office Address: The Benenden Healthcare Society Limited,
Holgate Park Drive, York. YO26 4GG.
Tel: 0870 7545 700  Fax: 0870 7545 822
www.benenden.org.uk

Re: What editor to edit config files with Windows XP?

Joost de Heer
> When I edit my hosts, httpd, and other files, I use notepad. When I save
> the
> files, they become .txt files. Should I be using some other editor to
> correctly save the files as other than .txt?

There's a dropdown box below the filename, called 'Save as type' when you
save. Set this to 'all files', instead of 'text documents (*.txt)'. This
should fix the automagically added .txt extension.

Joost

Re: Re: What editor to edit config files with Windows XP?

MELindberg
I would recommend you use EditPad {lite or pro}. No control character
issues.

BR
Myron Lindberg

Joost de Heer wrote:

>>When I edit my hosts, httpd, and other files, I use notepad. When I save
>>the
>>files, they become .txt files. Should I be using some other editor to
>>correctly save the files as other than .txt?
>>

>There's a dropdown box below the filename, called 'Save as type' when you
>save. Set this to 'all files', instead of 'text documents (*.txt)'. This
>should fix the automagically added .txt extension.
>
>Joost

>   "   from the digest: [hidden email]

Re: What editor to edit config files with Windows XP?

Robert Zagarello
This is off topic but worth mentioning here.  NetBSD
and probably other UNIX OSs get rather shaken by
notepad edited files because notepad puts a carriage
return (in addition to the linefeed) at the end of
every text record, shown in the hex dump as 0d0a.
This may work fine for MS Windows, but if you are in
the lazy habit (as I am) of editing text files on my
Windows PC (which I also use for all my backups) and
uploading them to your target BSD box, any notepad
edited files need to have the CRs stripped off the end
of every record.  As a further aside, Wordpad will do
the same thing if the file is saved as a txt file.
Note that Notepad needs the 0d0a to display records
properly, whereas Wordpad will actually open either
type of record (0d0a or 0a terminated) and display it
properly, but when the file is saved as txt WordPad
writes the 0d0a to every record (and I use WordPad
that way, as a converter, to permit me to use notepad
on text files downloaded from NetBSD).