Re: ftp via http !

Bandu Joshi
Created virual host as instructed but I am getting blank page and  server
access log shows " GET /HTTP/1.1" 304 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0...."

Here is my virtual host configuration

<VirtualHost 10.0.1.10>
ServerName james
DocumentRoot /home/john
<Directory /home/john>
   Options All
#   AllowOverride None
   allow from all
  </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

I found on google that if I don't put any html file under document root,  by
defalut apache should show directory listing right?  If not then how can I
show list of files under home directory?

Thank.

Bandu

>From: Patrick Donker <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [users@httpd] ftp via http !
>Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 02:17:11 +0200
>
>Bandu Joshi wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I am new to apache.  I have setup apache which is running fine and I would
>>like users to  see directory lisitng & download the files from home
>>directory using http://my-server/username/
>>
>>I searced on google and apche faq and tried setting UserDir as per
>>instructions but when I do http://my-server/username/ I get error "The
>>requested URL /username/ was not found on this server"
>>
>>Basically I want user should be able to see directory list after they
>>access http://my-server/username/ and download the files.
>
>Create a virtual host as shown below. It should work this way:
>
><VirtualHost *:80>
>    ServerName my-server
>    DocumentRoot location_of_where_the_files_are_that_you_want_to_show
>    Options +Indexes
>    IndexOptions FancyIndexing
></VirtualHost>

>   "   from the digest: [hidden email]

Re: ftp via http !

Joshua Slive
[I'm going back to the original question here, since it seems you went
off on a wild goose chase.]

On 4/22/05, Bandu Joshi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am new to apache.  I have setup apache which is running fine and I would
> like users to  see directory lisitng & download the files from home
> directory using http://my-server/username/
>
> I searced on google and apche faq and tried setting UserDir as per
> instructions but when I do http://my-server/username/ I get error "The
> requested URL /username/ was not found on this server"
>
> Basically I want user should be able to see directory list after they access
> http://my-server/username/ and download the files.

Are accesses to the root of your webserver working?  If not, start
with that and don't try anything fancy until you have the basics
working.

UserDir only works for URLs with the "~" character, like
http://server.example.com/~user/.

What you want is probably a simple Alias:
Alias /username /full/path/to/directory

If that doesn't work, tell us *exactly* what you tried and what the
result was, including the contents of the access and error logs.

Joshua.