Re: MODIFIYING THE REMOTE_USER VARIABLE

Bud P. Bruegger
At 12.12 22/04/2005 -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:

> > Brian just proposed this:
> >
> > RewriteEngine On
> > RewriteCond %{HTTP:HTTP_SOME_HEADER_FIELD} (.*)
> > RewriteRule .* - [E=REMOTE_USER:%1]
> >
> > and it works for me on Apache 1.3.  So I assume that also 2.0 will work.
>
>As far as I know, this technique cannot be used to override the
>standard CGI env variables, including REMOTE_USER.  In fact, it is not
>possible at all to override these variables, which is generally a good
>thing.
>
>Joshua.

Hmmm, it worked in 1.3 and I just checked a simple "SetEnv REMOTE_USER
helloThere" in an Apache 2.0 and that is visible in the CGI script.  I'll
test what Brian proposed later on (an Apache 2.0 behind another 2.0 that
acts as reverse proxy).

-b

Ing. Bud P. Bruegger, Ph.D.                 +39-0564-488577
(voice),  -21139 (fax)
Servizio Elaborazione Dati                    e-mail:  [hidden email]
Comune di
Grosseto                            http://www.comune.grosseto.it/cie/
Via Ginori,
43                                      http://OpenPortalGuard.sf.net
58100 Grosseto (Tuscany, Italy)           jabber:  [hidden email]

Free Software in Public Administration:  not just a good idea, but a necessity

Perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to be added, but
when there is nothing more to be taken away -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Re: MODIFIYING THE REMOTE_USER VARIABLE

Joshua Slive
On 4/26/05, Bud P. Bruegger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 12.12 22/04/2005 -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
> > > Brian just proposed this:
> > >
> > > RewriteEngine On
> > > RewriteCond %{HTTP:HTTP_SOME_HEADER_FIELD} (.*)
> > > RewriteRule .* - [E=REMOTE_USER:%1]
> > >
> > > and it works for me on Apache 1.3.  So I assume that also 2.0 will work.
> >
> >As far as I know, this technique cannot be used to override the
> >standard CGI env variables, including REMOTE_USER.  In fact, it is not
> >possible at all to override these variables, which is generally a good
> >thing.
> >
> >Joshua.
>
> Hmmm, it worked in 1.3 and I just checked a simple "SetEnv REMOTE_USER
> helloThere" in an Apache 2.0 and that is visible in the CGI script.  I'll
> test what Brian proposed later on (an Apache 2.0 behind another 2.0 that
> acts as reverse proxy).

I am fairly sure (although I haven't tested it recently) that you
can't OVERRIDE the REMOTE_USER.  You can probably set one if one isn't
being set through HTTP authentication.

Joshua.

At 09.07 26/04/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>I am fairly sure (although I haven't tested it recently) that you
>can't OVERRIDE the REMOTE_USER.  You can probably set one if one isn't
>being set through HTTP authentication.

Maybe that's the case.  I don't overwrite it but just set it.

many thanks