RE: Including config files conditionally

RE: Including config files conditionally

Denis Gerasimov

Hello,

> way I
>
> > I needed that for four main reasons:
> > 1. I want to move host-specific (Virtual Host section) directives to a
> > separate file located in the project directory.
> > 2. I don't want to use .htaccess since it has some (serious) limitations
> and
> > negatively impacts server's performance.
> > 3. That is very easy way to store host configuration in CVS. So a
> developer
> > can easily check-out it to use on his development machine.
> > 4. Control panel of our VPS allows specifying host-specific directives
> via
> > Web interface. All I need is just to open .htconfig and copy-and-paste
> its
> > contents to the text input.
> >
> > Thus, it seems reasonable to go this way. Isn't it?
>
> One very big caveat: Note that if you give httpd.conf (or Include'ed
> conf) access to your developers, this is essentially the same as
> giving root access.  I hope you trust all these people to be root.

That is not this case. The thing is that every developer in our company has
own WAMP installed on the local machine. Thus, we have one common httpd.conf
for all workstations and a developer simply checks-out project-specific
settings from a CVS server to local wwwroot.

The developers have no access to main test/production servers, of course,
only to local WAMP.

Any other objections?

> Joshua.

Re: Including config files conditionally

Joshua Slive
On 4/27/05, Denis Gerasimov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > One very big caveat: Note that if you give httpd.conf (or Include'ed
> > conf) access to your developers, this is essentially the same as
> > giving root access.  I hope you trust all these people to be root.
>
> That is not this case. The thing is that every developer in our company has
> own WAMP installed on the local machine. Thus, we have one common httpd.conf
> for all workstations and a developer simply checks-out project-specific
> settings from a CVS server to local wwwroot.
>
> The developers have no access to main test/production servers, of course,
> only to local WAMP.

As long as the conf file that they are modifying never finds its way
to a server where they don't have root access, I don't see any
problem.

Joshua.