Is HPACK compression supported in Apache httpd with h2?

Is HPACK compression supported in Apache httpd with h2?

simon.studer
Hi everyone,

Currently, I am looking into HTTP/2 and mod_http2. I could not, however find any information concerning HPACK compression support for Apache httpd.

The HPACK compression algorithm is specified in RFC 7541: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7541.

For nginx, the HTTP/2 module implements the HPACK algorithm (http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_v2_module.html).

For mod_http2 I could not find whether this is supported by mod_http2 or not (from the source code it appears that HPACK is not built-in). There also does not appear to be a mod_hpack like there are modules for other compression algorithms (e.g. mod_deflate and mod_brotli).

So my question is: Is HPACK compression supported in Apache httpd with h2?

Thanks!
Simon

Re: Is HPACK compression supported in Apache httpd with h2?

Stefan Eissing
Hi Simon,

the internal HTTP/2 handling is done using the nghttp2 library, see <https://www.nghttp2.org/documentation/> for details. That one does the HPACK and this is the reason you seen no special code for that in mod_http2.

Cheers, Stefan

> Hi everyone,
>
> Currently, I am looking into HTTP/2 and mod_http2. I could not, however find any information concerning HPACK compression support for Apache httpd.
>
> The HPACK compression algorithm is specified in RFC 7541: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7541.
>
> For nginx, the HTTP/2 module implements the HPACK algorithm (http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_v2_module.html).
>
> For mod_http2 I could not find whether this is supported by mod_http2 or not (from the source code it appears that HPACK is not built-in). There also does not appear to be a mod_hpack like there are modules for other compression algorithms (e.g. mod_deflate and mod_brotli).
>
> So my question is: Is HPACK compression supported in Apache httpd with h2?
>
> Thanks!
> Simon

AW: [users@httpd] Is HPACK compression supported in Apache httpd with h2?

simon.studer
Hi Stefan,

Thank you for the clarification and for answering so quickly!

Best,
Simon

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----