Interesting mod_expires vs maintenance page problem

Interesting mod_expires vs maintenance page problem

Eric Covener
I was working with a user the other day who had a "maintenance page"
kind of configuration using an external redirect, but they also had
mod_expires configured for the application the maintenance page was
blocking.

This results in temporary maintenance pages that are undesirably cacheable.

This particular users ErrorDocument for the maintenance page as they
have a handler that returns an error status.  But the typical config
is something like mod_rewrite (and no roundtrip, just an internal
redirect) but this has the same result for mod_expires.

For the rewrite case, mod_expires could check for some environment
variable, then just have the rewrite users set it during the
maintenance rewrite. I don't love this for a bunch of reasons but it
is at least something.  It may be possible to do this w/o a code
change by removing the expires filter but I haven't tried it  -- would
like to provide a better external for it.

For the ErrorDocument case, would it be reasonable for mod_expires to
check REDIRECT_STATUS or whatever and bail out the same way it does
for actual error statuses when it's serving the 302?  Or would we need
an opt-in here too?

Looking for opinions!