Inexplicable sporadic 404 & 301 responses

Inexplicable sporadic 404 & 301 responses

JunkYardMail1
Getting sporadic not found (404) and redirects (301).  These occur maybe
about 1 per 1000+ or so.

The 404 responses are for existing content, and the 301 response make no
sense.  Sometimes the redirect is to the same URL that was requested or to
something completely unrelated.

I can go to these URL's just fine without getting not found or redirect.

Apache/2.4.6 (CentOS)
Apr  2 2020 13:13:23

Re: Inexplicable sporadic 404 & 301 responses

Noel Butler

On 03/08/2020 11:01, JunkYardMail1 wrote:

Getting sporadic not found (404) and redirects (301).  These occur maybe
about 1 per 1000+ or so.

The 404 responses are for existing content, and the 301 response make no
sense.  Sometimes the redirect is to the same URL that was requested or to
something completely unrelated.

I can go to these URL's just fine without getting not found or redirect.

Apache/2.4.6 (CentOS)
Apr  2 2020 13:13:23

perhaps try something a little more modern, 2.4.6 is _40_ releases old, ASF is about to release 2.4.46

and this question is better suited to [hidden email] not dev@

Noel Butler

This Email, including attachments, may contain legally privileged information, therefore at all times remains confidential and subject to copyright protected under international law. You may not disseminate this message without the authors express written authority to do so. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender then delete all copies of this message including attachments immediately. Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message.

and this question is better suited to users@  not dev@

Noel Butler
This Email, including attachments, may contain legally privileged information, therefore at all times remains confidential and subject to copyright protected under international law. You may not disseminate this message without the authors express written authority to do so. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender then delete all copies of this message including attachments immediately. Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message.

It is the package that is provided to CentOS 7.  I'm not interested in spending my life compiling packages.

On 03/08/2020 17:35, JunkYardMail1 wrote:

Getting sporadic not found (404) and redirects (301).  These occur maybe
about 1 per 1000+ or so.

The 404 responses are for existing content, and the 301 response make no
sense.  Sometimes the redirect is to the same URL that was requested or to
something completely unrelated.

I can go to these URL's just fine without getting not found or redirect.

Apache/2.4.6 (CentOS)
Apr  2 2020 13:13:23

perhaps try something a little more modern, 2.4.6 is _40_ releases old, ASF is about to release 2.4.46
and this question is better suited to users@  not dev@

then take it up with centos, why you think someone will help you on something thats 40, yes forty versions old is beyond sane thought, either way you could ask on users list.

Noel Butler

This Email, including attachments, may contain legally privileged information, therefore at all times remains confidential and subject to copyright protected under international law. You may not disseminate this message without the authors express written authority to do so. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender then delete all copies of this message including attachments immediately. Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message.

Re: [External] RE: Inexplicable sporadic 404 & 301 responses

Kevin A. McGrail
On 8/3/2020 3:35 AM, JunkYardMail1 wrote:

> Getting sporadic not found (404) and redirects (301).  These occur maybe
> about 1 per 1000+ or so.
>
> The 404 responses are for existing content, and the 301 response make no
> sense.  Sometimes the redirect is to the same URL that was requested or to
> something completely unrelated.
>
> I can go to these URL's just fine without getting not found or redirect.
>
> Apache/2.4.6 (CentOS)
> Apr  2 2020 13:13:23
>
> perhaps try something a little more modern, 2.4.6 is _40_ releases old, ASF is about to release 2.4.46
> and this question is better suited to users@  not dev@

I would disagree with this, Noel.  301/404 is so basic it works awesome
for 25 years almost.

To me, I would increase the logging to combined and I would look for
autonomous capabilities.

Are you using a DNS system like Cloudflare or similar type of protection?

Do you have any scripts that look for bad actions/DDOS and counter them?

When you get a 301/404, are you getting a log entry for it?

Have you checked if your auth DNS servers are correct with Whois and in
sync?  Perhaps some requests are going to an old server.

I doubt httpd is the culprit.

Regards,

KAM

On 03/08/2020 23:38, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

[...]

I am hardly surprised you disagree with me, but his is NOT a question or discussion for dev@ it is for [hidden email]as I told him, twice, or are you deliberately trying to bait people on this list too now

Re: Inexplicable sporadic 404 & 301 responses

William A Rowe Jr
Folks, the hostility in this exchange isn't appropriate, especially the later messages.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 2:35 AM JunkYardMail1 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Getting sporadic not found (404) and redirects (301).  These occur maybe
about 1 per 1000+ or so.

The 404 responses are for existing content, and the 301 response make no
sense.  Sometimes the redirect is to the same URL that was requested or to
something completely unrelated.

I can go to these URL's just fine without getting not found or redirect.

Apache/2.4.6 (CentOS)
Apr  2 2020 13:13:23

This is, as pointed out, a users@ question. Please do be considerate of the fact
that the developers spend their limited cycles to address problems in the current
source code, and the request doesn't identify a source code defect.

perhaps try something a little more modern, 2.4.6 is _40_ releases old,

That's not true, because (as you can see today)...

ASF is about to release 2.4.46

and the 2.4.45 and 2.4.44 versions were not released. There are 16 skipped releases,
and only 24 released versions of httpd 2.4 since 2.4.6 in July of 2013, 7 years ago.
Either way, this is too old for the developers to spend attention on, as it has little
relevance to the current project source code under development.

This is a factual statement, if a bit blunt:

and this question is better suited to users@  not dev@
Noel Butler

It is the package that is provided to CentOS 7.  I'm not interested in spending my life compiling packages.

And CentOS 8 is celebrating its first birthday in 7 weeks.  Developers and fellow
users are more inclined to answer questions directed at current operating systems.
CentOS 7 maintainers will only be providing full updates into Q4 of this year, with limited
maintenance patches into 2024. For support from the CentOS community, it's a good time
to be migrating. As far as compiling packages, there are other rpm distribution channels
to keep up with a more up-to-date flavor httpd without compiling packages.

Let's try to keep thread redirections reasonably polite and presume best intentions?

Re: Inexplicable sporadic 404 & 301 responses

Dennis Clarke-2
> Folks, the hostility in this exchange isn't appropriate, especially the
> later messages.

I have been quietly hitting "delete" and trying to get 2.4.46 to build
and run on my Solaris 10 Oracle/Fujitsu sparc servers. Which Rainer Jung
seems to have figured out but I am not there yet. I am just never fast
enough these days to get in a "vote" for release or not. Thankfully we
have Rainer out there.  As for noisey stuff in the mailist. Hit delete.

I may not be alone in that.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC