How to permanently disable default config files

How to permanently disable default config files

Scott A. Wozny
Running the Centos7 packaged httpd, I didn't want the config files in /etc/httpd/conf.d (autoindex.conf, userdir.conf and welcome.conf) to load.  I thought I was being clever and renamed them all to name.disable so they there there for my reference, but wouldn't load the modules and settings.

Then I did a yum update to httpd.  The disable files were still there, but the installer replaced the "missing" .conf file which kept my instance from loading (I have disabled modules necessary for some of the config lines in these conf files).

Is there a "standard" way to remove files so a yum update install doesn't replace them?  I have "comment out all the lines in the conf files and leave them in place" as a fallback, but I was wondering if I'm missing the "correct" way to do this.  I can't imagine I'm the only person who doesn't want those files to load on a default install.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have,

Scott

Re: How to permanently disable default config files

Frank Gingras

On 10/06/20 05:29 PM, Scott A. Wozny wrote:

> Running the Centos7 packaged httpd, I didn't want the config files in
> /etc/httpd/conf.d (autoindex.conf, userdir.conf and welcome.conf) to
> load.  I thought I was being clever and renamed them all to name.disable
> so they there there for my reference, but wouldn't load the modules and
> settings.
>
> Then I did a yum update to httpd.  The disable files were still there,
> but the installer replaced the "missing" .conf file which kept my
> instance from loading (I have disabled modules necessary for some of the
> config lines in these conf files).
>
> Is there a "standard" way to remove files so a yum update install
> doesn't replace them?  I have "comment out all the lines in the conf
> files and leave them in place" as a fallback, but I was wondering if I'm
> missing the "correct" way to do this.  I can't imagine I'm the only
> person who doesn't want those files to load on a default install.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions you may have,
>
> Scott

That would be a question for the maintainers of that package, ideally.
Check the CentOS mailing list and/or IRC channel on freenode.

Re: How to permanently disable default config files

Yehuda Katz
You can use yum-plugin-post-transaction-actions to delete the files (not currently available in CentOS 8 though):
Create a file named /etc/yum/post-actions/httpd.action
With the content:
httpd*:update:rm -f /etc/httpd/conf.d/file_to_delete

You should also be able to leave the files empty instead of deleting them - yum should leave the modified files alone.

- Y

Sent from a device with a very small keyboard and hyperactive autocorrect.

Scott

Re: How to permanently disable default config files

Scott A. Wozny
I'll check with the CentOS crew.  Thanks very much. 🙂

Scott

On 10/06/20 05:29 PM, Scott A. Wozny wrote:
> Running the Centos7 packaged httpd, I didn't want the config files in
> /etc/httpd/conf.d (autoindex.conf, userdir.conf and welcome.conf) to
> load.  I thought I was being clever and renamed them all to name.disable
> so they there there for my reference, but wouldn't load the modules and
> settings.
>
> Then I did a yum update to httpd.  The disable files were still there,
> but the installer replaced the "missing" .conf file which kept my
> instance from loading (I have disabled modules necessary for some of the
> config lines in these conf files).
>
> Is there a "standard" way to remove files so a yum update install
> doesn't replace them?  I have "comment out all the lines in the conf
> files and leave them in place" as a fallback, but I was wondering if I'm
> missing the "correct" way to do this.  I can't imagine I'm the only
> person who doesn't want those files to load on a default install.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions you may have,
>
> Scott

That would be a question for the maintainers of that package, ideally.
Check the CentOS mailing list and/or IRC channel on freenode.

Re: How to permanently disable default config files

Scott A. Wozny
Interesting.  I'd have to maintain a list of files I "disabled" but it may end up being worth it.  Although, commenting or emptying the files when I'm initially building my template may be less effort in the long run.  I'll have to think about it.  Thanks for the feedback!  🙂

Scott