HTTP POST with empty "data" field, Content-Length is filled. Version 1.3.31, Solaris 9

HTTP POST with empty "data" field, Content-Length is filled. Version 1.3.31, Solaris 9

Valdir Leite
Hi all,

We are experiencing a strange behavior in our webserver (Solaris 9,
Apache 1.3.31):

Sometimes users' requests don't get answered, when posting forms with,
say, 80Kb of data, over HTTPS. And, after 5 or 6 minutes, browser
shows "The page cannot be displayed" default error page.

I searched access_logssl and saw that in those cases, the response is
sent with a "-" in the place of number of bytes, like:

XXX.YYY.WWW.ZZZ - - [20/Apr/2005:16:19:17 -300] "POST
/servlet/Servlet1 HTTP/1.1"  200 -

TCPDump showed, when this occurs, that the post come with
content-length filled, but data doesn´t is in packets.

As in changelog, at http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/CHANGES_1.3,

"   Correct a timeout problem within proxy which would force long
     or slow POST requests to close after 300 seconds.
     [Martin Lichtin <martin lichtin.net>, Brian Bothwell
     <brian.bothwell wisdomtools.com>]
"
That´s a bug fixed since 1.3.25.

I´m preparing to upgrade to 1.3.31, but this issue is boring my users
(and me, of course...), so I want to solve or workaround this before
the upgrade.

Ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

Valdir Leite