Fwd: JSON License and Apache Projects

Stefan Eissing
Just to be certain: does this impact any linkage against a JSON C library?

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E‑Mail:

Von: Chris Mattmann <[hidden email]>
Datum: 23. Mai 2017 um 19:11:38 MESZ
An: <[hidden email]>
Betreff: Wtr:⁨ JSON License and Apache Projects⁩
Antwort an: [hidden email]

Dear PMCs@,

Hi! As the new Legal VP, I am reminding everyone that the
grandfather exception for the JSON License and Apache projects
ended last month. As sent by Jim (our prior Legal VP) the relevant
text is below and I want to highlight the following statement:

--
If you have been using it, and have done so in a *release*, AND there has
been NO pushback from your community/eco-system, you have a temporary

Thank you for your consideration and attention to this
matter.

Cheers,
Chris Mattmann, VP, Legal ASF

From: Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 9:04 AM
To: legal discuss <[hidden email]>
Subject: Fwd: JSON License and Apache Projects

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]>
Subject: JSON License and Apache Projects
Date: November 23, 2016 at 9:10:39 AM EST
To: ASF Board <[hidden email]>

(forwarded from legal-discuss@)

As some of you may know, recently the JSON License has been
moved to Category X (https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#category-x).

I understand that this has impacted some projects, especially
those in the midst of doing a release. I also understand that
up until now, really, there has been no real "outcry" over our
usage of it, especially from end-users and other consumers of
our projects which use it.

As compelling as that is, the fact is that the JSON license
itself is not OSI approved and is therefore not, by definition,
an "Open Source license" and, as such, cannot be considered as
one which is acceptable as related to categories.

Therefore, w/ my VP Legal hat on, I am making the following
statements:

o No new project, sub-project or codebase, which has not
 used JSON licensed jars (or similar), are allowed to use
 them. In other words, if you haven't been using them, you
 aren't allowed to start. It is Cat-X.

o If you have been using it, and have done so in a *release*,
 AND there has been NO pushback from your community/eco-system,
 you have a temporary exclusion from the Cat-X classification thru
 April 30, 2017. At that point in time, ANY and ALL usage
 of these JSON licensed artifacts are DISALLOWED. You must
 either find a suitably licensed replacement, or do without.
 There will be NO exceptions.

o Any situation not covered by the above is an implicit
 DISALLOWAL of usage.

Also please note that in the 2nd situation (where a temporary
exclusion has been granted), you MUST ensure that NOTICE explicitly
notifies the end-user that a JSON licensed artifact exists. They
may not be aware of it up to now, and that MUST be addressed.

If there are any questions, please ask on the [hidden email]
list.

--
Jim Jagielski
VP Legal Affairs

Re: JSON License and Apache Projects

William A Rowe Jr
On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:26 PM, Stefan Eissing
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just to be certain: does this impact any linkage against a JSON C library?

JSMN is licensed MIT - no issues.

Jansson is licensed MIT - also no issue there.

json-c is licensed MIT - I see a pattern here.

The problematic license can be found here; http://www.json.org/license.html
which applies to one or more implementations of that project, and whose
author, unlike authors' assurances about other problematic licenses clauses
we have made exception for, has not seen fit to relicense or disclaim any
enforcement of the problematic clause.

Re: JSON License and Apache Projects

Stefan Eissing
Thanks for the confirmation. I read it that way, just wanted to avoid any misunderstanding on legal stuff.

-stefan