Does Apache do a "graceful" automatically over time?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Does Apache do a "graceful" automatically over time?

Rose, John B

As always, a "thank you" to everyone that works on Apache.


Some background and resultant question ...


We had made some changes in the afternoon to some virtual host configs that we intended to implement the next morning with a graceful restart of Apache.


That was going to be coordinated with a restart of php-fm which had to be done before the graceful of Apache


Anyway, the next morning the sites utilizing PHP were getting a 503 error before we restarted anything. It seems as though Apache must have implemented the virtual host config changes sometime between the previous afternoon and the next morning. But no one had manually done the graceful.


Does Apache do a "graceful" restart automatically over time?





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Does Apache do a "graceful" automatically over time?

Eric Covener
> Does Apache do a "graceful" restart automatically over time?

No. Some likely culprits: logrotate (not to be confused with
rotatelogs) or third-party control panels that manage your webserver
config.  Or an unplanned reboot which would not really be a graceful
restart but a stop/start.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Does Apache do a "graceful" automatically over time?

Rose, John B
Eric, as always, thanks for replying.

I think logrotate is the likely culprit.

Looking at apachectl status it doesn’t do a stop start, since no indication of an overnight restart. So I assume a “graceful” on Linux

Thanks again for the help

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 27, 2019, at 5:21 PM, Eric Covener <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Does Apache do a "graceful" restart automatically over time?
>
> No. Some likely culprits: logrotate (not to be confused with
> rotatelogs) or third-party control panels that manage your webserver
> config.  Or an unplanned reboot which would not really be a graceful
> restart but a stop/start.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Does Apache do a "graceful" automatically over time?

Suvendu Sekhar Mondal
In reply to this post by Rose, John B
John,

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 1:23 AM Rose, John B <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> As always, a "thank you" to everyone that works on Apache.
>
>
> Some background and resultant question ...
>
>
> We had made some changes in the afternoon to some virtual host configs that we intended to implement the next morning with a graceful restart of Apache.
>
>
> That was going to be coordinated with a restart of php-fm which had to be done before the graceful of Apache
>
>
> Anyway, the next morning the sites utilizing PHP were getting a 503 error before we restarted anything. It seems as though Apache must have implemented the virtual host config changes sometime between the previous afternoon and the next morning. But no one had manually done the graceful.
>
>
> Does Apache do a "graceful" restart automatically over time?
>

There is a possibility. If you are using MPM and have set a non-zero
value for MaxConnectionsPerChild, this can happen. Once
MaxConnectionsPerChild limit is reached, that child server will be
terminated and a new one will be started. Do you have that in your
config?

>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Does Apache do a "graceful" automatically over time?

Eric Covener
> There is a possibility. If you are using MPM and have set a non-zero
> value for MaxConnectionsPerChild, this can happen. Once
> MaxConnectionsPerChild limit is reached, that child server will be
> terminated and a new one will be started. Do you have that in your
> config?

If there's a replacement process, it inherits the old configuration,
not the one that's currently on-disk.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Does Apache do a "graceful" automatically over time?

Suvendu Sekhar Mondal
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 11:18 PM Eric Covener <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> > There is a possibility. If you are using MPM and have set a non-zero
> > value for MaxConnectionsPerChild, this can happen. Once
> > MaxConnectionsPerChild limit is reached, that child server will be
> > terminated and a new one will be started. Do you have that in your
> > config?
>
> If there's a replacement process, it inherits the old configuration,
> not the one that's currently on-disk.
>

Hi Eric,
As per Apache documentation[1], new process should read the
configuration from file. I am running Apache on Windows. Does Unix
based MPMs works differently?

[1] https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mpm_winnt.html

Thanks!
Suvendu

> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]