Beginners question

Joe Tellup
Hello, please forgive my lack of experience with the apache server, I'm a recent convert from IIS, as in the past week.

When we hosted our websites on commercial sites, the shell access or ftp access was easy enough to work with, however, from the key board it is a different matter.

I have the proxy.aol.com literally burning up my bandwidth. I'm sure there is a method with the htaccess to stop them, but I do not have enough knowledge yet about this file to configure it properly, Would anyone have a suggestion?

Many thanks in advance

Re: Beginners question

Dan-96
Joe Tellup wrote:

> Hello, please forgive my lack of experience with the apache server, I'm
> a recent convert from IIS, as in the past week.
>
> When we hosted our websites on commercial sites, the shell access or ftp
> access was easy enough to work with, however, from the key board it is a
> different matter.
>
> I have the proxy.aol.com literally burning up my bandwidth. I'm sure
> there is a method with the htaccess to stop them, but I do not have
> enough knowledge yet about this file to configure it properly, Would
> anyone have a suggestion?
>
> Many thanks in advance

Joe -

It would not be wise to throttle a *.proxy.aol.com address, as tens of
thousands of clients might be using this proxy server.  Who knows.

Think of it this way....

one client eating up a lot of bandwidth, or tens of thousands of clients
collectively eating up the same amount of bandwidth.

It just so happens that your site may have a lot of AOL visitors on it.

Hope that helps
-dant

Re: Beginners question

Tim Burden
Yeah. Be happy. But make sure, if you're using PHP or the like, that you're
sending the kind of headers that allow pages to be cached :)

I mean, if you see a proxy eating up bandwidth, then either you have lots of
pages for the proxy to gather, or the proxy is not caching stuff.

> > Hello, please forgive my lack of experience with the apache server, I'm
> > a recent convert from IIS, as in the past week.
> >
> > When we hosted our websites on commercial sites, the shell access or ftp
> > access was easy enough to work with, however, from the key board it is a
> > different matter.
> >
> > I have the proxy.aol.com literally burning up my bandwidth. I'm sure
> > there is a method with the htaccess to stop them, but I do not have
> > enough knowledge yet about this file to configure it properly, Would
> > anyone have a suggestion?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance
>
> Joe -
>
> It would not be wise to throttle a *.proxy.aol.com address, as tens of
> thousands of clients might be using this proxy server.  Who knows.
>
> Think of it this way....
>
> one client eating up a lot of bandwidth, or tens of thousands of clients
> collectively eating up the same amount of bandwidth.
>
> It just so happens that your site may have a lot of AOL visitors on it.
>
> Hope that helps
> -dant

>    "   from the digest: [hidden email]

RE: Beginners question

Joe Tellup
Good point, we have one database that is php driven and has a huge amount of
pages. I think I'll take your advise and let aol proxy us.

One more Noob question

Joe Tellup

I don't want to abuse this forum, as the information coming through seems to
be superior to most. However, just switching to apache, is this the proper
forum to ask those " I am learning " questions.

I don't want to get on anyone's nerves. I just cannot stand IIS anymore, I
have setup numerous webservers over the years under IIS just to find out
it's limited. So I have to learn apache.

Re: One more Noob question

Joshua Slive
On 4/26/05, Joe Tellup <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't want to abuse this forum, as the information coming through seems to
> be superior to most. However, just switching to apache, is this the proper
> forum to ask those " I am learning " questions.

Yes, but make sure you've done your best to find the answer in the
docs and archives first.

Joshua.

RE: One more Noob question

Joe Tellup