Apache virtual hosts listening on specific IPv6 addresses

Apache virtual hosts listening on specific IPv6 addresses

David Mehler
Hello,

I'm wanting to set up Apache 2.4 virtual hosts to listen to specific
IPv6 addresses. I see a Listen directive in my http configuration, but
nothing for each virtual host. I've got several different virtual
hosts each I want to listen on it's own specific IPv6 address. In the
virtual host configuration i've got VirtualHost *:443.

Thanks.
Dave.

Re: Apache virtual hosts listening on specific IPv6 addresses

Richard

> Date: Saturday, June 27, 2020 20:06:30 -0400
> From: David Mehler <[hidden email]>
>
> I'm wanting to set up Apache 2.4 virtual hosts to listen to specific
> IPv6 addresses. I see a Listen directive in my http configuration,
> but nothing for each virtual host. I've got several different
> virtual hosts each I want to listen on it's own specific IPv6
> address. In the virtual host configuration i've got VirtualHost
> *:443.

You may want to look at the apache documentation on ip-based virtual
hosting, e.g.,

  <https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/vhosts/ip-based.html>

There's an IPv4/http example there that you should be able to use as
a starting point for your IPv6/https needs.

Re: Apache virtual hosts listening on specific IPv6 addresses

David Mehler
Hello,

Thanks. This is in my global ssl configuration:

Listen xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:443 https
Listen [ipv6.address1]:443 https
Listen [ipv6.address2]:443 https
Listen [ipv6.address3]:443 https
Listen [ipv6.address4]:443 https

and in my VirtualHost definition:

<VirtualHost *:443 [2600:3c03:e000:1aa:abcd::2073]:443>

I'm not getting any Apache syntax errors, but checking site
availability via ipv6 check reveals site is unreachable. I'm trying to
rule out Apache error. Is the above correct?

Thanks.
Dave.

On 6/27/20, Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Date: Saturday, June 27, 2020 20:06:30 -0400
>> From: David Mehler <[hidden email]>
>>
>> I'm wanting to set up Apache 2.4 virtual hosts to listen to specific
>> IPv6 addresses. I see a Listen directive in my http configuration,
>> but nothing for each virtual host. I've got several different
>> virtual hosts each I want to listen on it's own specific IPv6
>> address. In the virtual host configuration i've got VirtualHost
>> *:443.
>

> You may want to look at the apache documentation on ip-based virtual
> hosting, e.g.,
>
>   <https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/vhosts/ip-based.html>
>
> There's an IPv4/http example there that you should be able to use as
> a starting point for your IPv6/https needs.

Re: Apache virtual hosts listening on specific IPv6 addresses

angel Hall-Coulston
Hi,
I assume you have already run the command 'httpd -S' as this will throw back info and errors on virtual host(s) configuration ?

Angel Hall-Coulston
Scotland

Date: Saturday, June 27, 2020 20:06:30 -0400
From: David Mehler <[hidden email]>

I'm wanting to set up Apache 2.4 virtual hosts to listen to specific
IPv6 addresses. I see a Listen directive in my http configuration,
but nothing for each virtual host. I've got several different
virtual hosts each I want to listen on it's own specific IPv6
address. In the virtual host configuration i've got VirtualHost
*:443.

You may want to look at the apache documentation on ip-based virtual
hosting, e.g.,

 <https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/vhosts/ip-based.html>

There's an IPv4/http example there that you should be able to use as
a starting point for your IPv6/https needs.

For additional commands, [hidden email]

Re: Apache virtual hosts listening on specific IPv6 addresses

David Mehler
Hello,

Thanks, I have done that. Everything looks good they're just not
responding to an external IPv6 check.

Thanks.
Dave.

On 6/28/20, angel Hall-Coulston <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I assume you have already run the command 'httpd -S' as this will throw back
> info and errors on virtual host(s) configuration ?
>
> Angel Hall-Coulston
> Scotland
>
>> On 28 Jun 2020, at 02:19, David Mehler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thanks. This is in my global ssl configuration:
>>
>> Listen xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:443 https
>> Listen [ipv6.address1]:443 https
>> Listen [ipv6.address2]:443 https
>> Listen [ipv6.address3]:443 https
>> Listen [ipv6.address4]:443 https
>>
>> and in my VirtualHost definition:
>>
>> <VirtualHost *:443 [2600:3c03:e000:1aa:abcd::2073]:443>
>>
>> I'm not getting any Apache syntax errors, but checking site
>> availability via ipv6 check reveals site is unreachable. I'm trying to
>> rule out Apache error. Is the above correct?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Dave.

>>> You may want to look at the apache documentation on ip-based virtual
>>> hosting, e.g.,
>>>
>>>  <https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/vhosts/ip-based.html>
>>>
>>> There's an IPv4/http example there that you should be able to use as
>>> a starting point for your IPv6/https needs.

Re: Apache virtual hosts listening on specific IPv6 addresses

Antony Stone
On Sunday 28 June 2020 at 17:17:22, David Mehler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks, I have done that. Everything looks good they're just not
> responding to an external IPv6 check.

Does netstat -lptn tell you the sockets are listening on those addresses?

What does wireshark/tshark tell you happens when a request comes in to one of
the addresses?

Antony.

--
Don't procrastinate - put it off until tomorrow.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Re: Apache virtual hosts listening on specific IPv6 addresses

David Mehler
Hello,

Yes netstat does show that the sockets are listening on the correct addresses.

As for wireshark/tshark can you give me a quick howto to get you the
answer to your question? I've never used it.

Thanks.
Dave.

On Sunday 28 June 2020 at 17:44:48, David Mehler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yes netstat does show that the sockets are listening on the correct
> addresses.
>
> As for wireshark/tshark can you give me a quick howto to get you the
> answer to your question? I've never used it.

tshark -i eth0 -f "port 443 and host aaaa:bbb:cc::dddd:eeee"

Change "eth0" if that's not your external interface name, and just put in one
of your IPv6 addresses as indicated.

Antony.

--
How many Prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?
No.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Re: Apache virtual hosts listening on specific IPv6 addresses

David Mehler
Hello,

Thanks, actually turned out to be a firewall issue.

Thanks a lot.