Apache responds in https, but only by test page, not my website

Apache responds in https, but only by test page, not my website

Fabio F.Gervasi
Hi,

In order to switch from http to https, I have already obtained my SSL certificates. But my problem is to run the Apache webserver (Server version: Apache/2.4.23 (Fedora) with https (no problems with http). I mean. For the http I'm using succesfully:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin [hidden email]
    DocumentRoot /home/web/mydomain.com
    ServerName mydomain.com
</VirtualHost>

But when I define also:

<VirtualHost *:443>
    ServerAdmin [hidden email]
    DocumentRoot /home/web/mydomain.com
    ServerName mydomain.com
</VirtualHost>

the server responds in https, typing in the browser https://www.mydomain.com (obviously giving me a certificate warning because I have the certificate but I have not yet configured the server with it) but return to me only the Apache test page and not the site. If I try other site pages I obtain "Not Found".
Browsing http://www.mydomain.com, instead, everything is ok, as usually.

Where do I wrong?

Thank you very much,
Fabio.

Re: Apache responds in https, but only by test page, not my website

Eric Covener
On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Fabio F.Gervasi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In order to switch from http to https, I have already obtained my SSL
> certificates. But my problem is to run the Apache webserver (Server version:
> Apache/2.4.23 (Fedora) with https (no problems with http). I mean. For the
> http I'm using succesfully:
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>     ServerAdmin [hidden email]
>     DocumentRoot /home/web/mydomain.com
>     ServerName mydomain.com
> </VirtualHost>
>
> But when I define also:
>
> <VirtualHost *:443>
>     ServerAdmin [hidden email]
>     DocumentRoot /home/web/mydomain.com
>     ServerName mydomain.com
> </VirtualHost>
>
> the server responds in https, typing in the browser https://www.mydomain.com
> (obviously giving me a certificate warning because I have the certificate
> but I have not yet configured the server with it) but return to me only the
> Apache test page and not the site.

I'd start by checking for other vhosts on either port (apachectl -S)
then drilling down to individual URL's that return bad results / where
the proper content comes from / finding the configuration for it.

Using custom log files in your vhosts is one way to avoid some of the confusion.

Re: Apache responds in https, but only by test page, not my website

Fabio F.Gervasi
Hi Eric, thank you.

I'm not expert, I did not understand what to do... Regarding logs, I defined:

<VirtualHost *:443>
    ServerAdmin [hidden email]
    DocumentRoot /home/web/centrometeo.com
    ServerName centrometeo.com
    ErrorLog logs/https-centrometeo.com-error_log
    CustomLog logs/https-centrometeo.com-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

So, using differents name/files, but after a few attempts to access via https, empty files were created, so there is nothing in the logs.

Fabio.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In order to switch from http to https, I have already obtained my SSL
> certificates. But my problem is to run the Apache webserver (Server version:
> Apache/2.4.23 (Fedora) with https (no problems with http). I mean. For the
> http I'm using succesfully:
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>     ServerAdmin [hidden email]
>     DocumentRoot /home/web/mydomain.com
>     ServerName mydomain.com
> </VirtualHost>
>
> But when I define also:
>
> <VirtualHost *:443>
>     ServerAdmin [hidden email]
>     DocumentRoot /home/web/mydomain.com
>     ServerName mydomain.com
> </VirtualHost>
>
> the server responds in https, typing in the browser https://www.mydomain.com
> (obviously giving me a certificate warning because I have the certificate
> but I have not yet configured the server with it) but return to me only the
> Apache test page and not the site.

I'd start by checking for other vhosts on either port (apachectl -S)
then drilling down to individual URL's that return bad results / where
the proper content comes from / finding the configuration for it.

Using custom log files in your vhosts is one way to avoid some of the confusion.

Re: Apache responds in https, but only by test page, not my website

Eric Covener
On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 12:47 PM, Fabio F.Gervasi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eric, thank you.
>
> I'm not expert, I did not understand what to do... Regarding logs, I
> defined:
>
> <VirtualHost *:443>
>     ServerAdmin [hidden email]
>     DocumentRoot /home/web/centrometeo.com
>     ServerName centrometeo.com
>     ErrorLog logs/https-centrometeo.com-error_log
>     CustomLog logs/https-centrometeo.com-access_log common
> </VirtualHost>
>
> So, using differents name/files, but after a few attempts to access via
> https, empty files were created, so there is nothing in the logs.

That means you have another virtualhost handling your port 443 traffic.

apachectl -S will summarize where your vhosts are defined if you can't
find them with grep or an editor.

Re: Apache responds in https, but only by test page, not my website

Fabio F.Gervasi
I try to run:

[root@servercm httpd]# apachectl -S

but it does not return anything...

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Eric, thank you.
>
> I'm not expert, I did not understand what to do... Regarding logs, I
> defined:
>
> <VirtualHost *:443>
>     ServerAdmin [hidden email]
>     DocumentRoot /home/web/centrometeo.com
>     ServerName centrometeo.com
>     ErrorLog logs/https-centrometeo.com-error_log
>     CustomLog logs/https-centrometeo.com-access_log common
> </VirtualHost>
>
> So, using differents name/files, but after a few attempts to access via
> https, empty files were created, so there is nothing in the logs.

That means you have another virtualhost handling your port 443 traffic.

apachectl -S will summarize where your vhosts are defined if you can't
find them with grep or an editor.

Re: Apache responds in https, but only by test page, not my website

Fabio F.Gervasi
Sorry, maybe did you mean https -S...

[root@servercm master]# httpd -S
AH00112: Warning: DocumentRoot [/home/web/dancemusicawards.ru] does not exist
AH00112: Warning: DocumentRoot [/home/web/www.dancemusicawards.ru] does not exist
[Sun Aug 13 11:01:53.899753 2017] [alias:warn] [pid 27571:tid 139691180570816] AH00671: The Alias directive in /etc/httpd/conf.d/phpMyAdmin.conf at line 8 will probably never match because it overlaps an earlier Alias.
[Sun Aug 13 11:01:53.899875 2017] [alias:warn] [pid 27571:tid 139691180570816] AH00671: The Alias directive in /etc/httpd/conf.d/phpMyAdmin.conf at line 9 will probably never match because it overlaps an earlier Alias.
VirtualHost configuration:
*:80                   is a NameVirtualHost
         default server centrometeo.com (/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:470)
         port 80 namevhost centrometeo.com (/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:470)
         port 80 namevhost dancemusicawards.ru (/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:479)
         port 80 namevhost www.dancemusicawards.ru (/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:485)
*:443                  is a NameVirtualHost
         default server centrometeo.com (/etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf:56)
         port 443 namevhost centrometeo.com (/etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf:56)
         port 443 namevhost centrometeo.com (/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:491)
ServerRoot: "/etc/httpd"
Main DocumentRoot: "/home/web"
Main ErrorLog: "/etc/httpd/logs/error_log"
Mutex lua-ivm-shm: using_defaults
Mutex fcgid-proctbl: using_defaults
Mutex ssl-stapling: using_defaults
Mutex proxy: using_defaults
Mutex authn-socache: using_defaults
Mutex ssl-cache: using_defaults
Mutex default: dir="/run/httpd/" mechanism=default
Mutex cache-socache: using_defaults
Mutex fcgid-pipe: using_defaults
Mutex rewrite-map: using_defaults
Mutex ssl-stapling-refresh: using_defaults
PidFile: "/run/httpd/httpd.pid"
Define: DUMP_VHOSTS
Define: DUMP_RUN_CFG
Define: MODPERL2
User: name="apache" id=48
Group: name="apache" id=48

Maybe there is soma problem about ssl.conf?